Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Friday, December 7, 2012

Origin by Jessica Khoury


Origin
 
Summary:
 
Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home--and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin--a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost.
Summary & Photo taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 394 pages (Hardcover)
Publication Date: September 4th 2012 by Razorbill     
 
Here is another book that I waited for for months to read until last month when I finally got my hands on a copy from the library. Then when I brought it home I read a couple iffy reviews so I went into it very hesitantly, expecting the worst but I was surprised at how much I really enjoyed Origin.
 
The story centers around Pia (love the name) who is a genetically enhanced human who has the gift of being immortal. She's raised in a jungle compound where she is heralded in as the future of humanity and expected to be as cold and calculating as those around her and she is almost convinced that she will be until she escapes the compound and meets the boy of her dreams Eio. However a series of events take place and she finds out what kind of sacrifices were made for her to gain the immortality that those around her so value and she has to fight for the life she truly wants.
 
I thought that the book was great. In many ways it reminded me a lot of The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna click here to read my review. Because both novels focus on strong female characters that were somehow made different through scientific advances and there was secrecy and romance in both of these. However, I found that in Origins the author did a much better job at developing the plot a lot more because a lot of the questions I had about how and why Pia was the way she was were answered. I appreciated how well explained the plot was because it created a steady story line.
 
Pia though has to be one of my favourite heroines of the year. She was so strong willed, smart, and kind that there was very little that I couldn't like about her though I do wish she had grown a backbone when it came to certain things a wee bit sooner but it wasn't anything major in terms of effecting the novel. I loved how despite growing up in such a cold atmosphere in the compound where she was raised that she still had a lot of goodness in her.
 
Eio, was a good side character as well I liked how much he showed his love for Pia but it was sadly a week case of the dreaded insta-love that I tend to dislike. However, I didn't mind it as much as I usually would though for me that is the one major draw back in the book.
 
The other side characters were also well developed enough for me to find them interesting enough that I wish I knew more about their side stories as well as Pia's but then the book would have been really long.
 
I really enjoyed learning about how Pia was made/born and the reasons why. I thought the whole immortal flower was a great idea and one that I've only heard about a few times and hopefully it won't be the new thing and other authors start putting them in there novels all of a sudden. I also liked that there was a bit of intrigue and a lot of action in the book as well so that it kept me guessing the whole way through.
 
Overall I thought that this was a great debut by Jessica Khoury who is only a couple months older than I am. In my mind this proves that young authors do have talent and are capable of penning successful novels. With a well developed plot and a great heroine I think this is going on my favourites list of books I've read this year. I would absolutely recommend this book to everyone especially those who like YA novels. I hope Jessica has another book in the works because I think she's going to be an author to watch out for in the future.
 
Really Liked it!
★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2
 
To "Like" Jessica on Facebook CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Jessica on Twitter CLICK HERE
To "Follow" Jessica on Pinterest CLICK HERE
To become a "Fan" of Jessica on Goodreads CLICK HERE
To visit Jessica's Website CLICK HERE
To visit Jessica's Blog CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Chapters Indigo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Kobo CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via The Book Depository CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via Barnes & Noble CLICK HERE


 

4 comments:

  1. A great review! It sounds a really good read. Definitely going to add it to my wish-list.

    Sophie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Sophie! I hope you get a chance to read it soon it's awesome!

      Delete
  2. After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

    Click Here
    Brandquiz.io

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!