Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in Pictures by Caroline Preston

The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt 

Summary:
From the author of the "New York Times" Notable Book, "Jackie by Josie," comes a spirited, visually lush, and stunning novel, inspired by the art of scrapbooking and told through a kaleidoscopic array of vintage postcards, letters, magazine ads, ticket stubs, catalog pages, fabric swatches, candy wrappers, fashion spreads, menus, and more, starring an unforgettable heroine and set in the burgeoning bohemian culture of the 1920s.
Summary taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 228 pages
Publication Date: October 25th 2011

A few months ago I ran across a review on one of my favourite blogs http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.ca/Click here to read her review of this book  about this book and as soon as I read what she had to say about it I put it on hold. I'm so glad I did because I LOVE this book!

Though there isn't a lot of writing in the whole book because it's told in the form of a scrapbook when I finished it I felt as though I had aread a full length novel. Usually my interests in history are pre 1900's but occaisionally I like to pick up a book set in the 20's. The story is told in such a remarkable way and such a different way that I still can't help but marvel at how well the author laid out the book.

The scrapbook is a graduation present given to Frankie from her mother, and she immediately starts filling up the pages. Frankie is an aspiring writer who dreams of bigger and better things for herself than the lot in life that she could have if she just stayed in the small town where she grew up. As the years go by Frankie continues adding more to her scrapbook allowing us to follow her through her life's adventures.

I loved reading this book, it was so enjoyable and unique! I love how all the scrapbook materials used in the book came from the author's personal collection of old scrapbooks and scrapbooking materials so I got a real feel for the era. This book is one that I can see myself revisiting and I plan on asking for it for a birthday gift. It's such a wonderful take on writing a novel and I think it's very sucessful. I'd have no problem recommending this to any one. In fact I think everyone should read it :) I can't wait to read more by this fabulous author. This is one of my favourite books I've read all year!

To purchase the book from Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book from BookDepository CLICK HERE
To visit the author's website CLICK HERE


★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2 comments:

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!