Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Monday, April 16, 2012

Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood #8) by J.R. Ward



Summary:
In the darkest corners of the night in Caldwell, New York, a conflict like no other rages. Long divided as a terrifying battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the city is home to a band of brothers born to defend their race: the warrior vampires of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

John Matthew has come a long way since he was found living among humans, his vampire nature unknown to himself and to those around him. After he was taken in by the Brotherhood, no one could guess what his true history was- or his true identity. Indeed, the fallen Brother Darius has returned, but with a different face and a very different destiny. As a vicious personal vendetta takes John into the heart of the war, he will need to call up on both who he is now and who he once was in order to face off against evil incarnate.

Xhex, a symphath assassin, has long steeled herself against the attraction between her and John Matthew. Having already lost one lover to madness, she will not allow the male of worth to fall prey to the darkness of her twisted life. When fate intervenes, however, the two discover that love, like destiny, is inevitable between soul mates.
Summary taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 512 pages (hardcover edition)
Source: Book bought for me by Mr. Turning The Pages
Publication Date: April 27th 2010

FINALLY JOHN MATTHEW AND XHEX'S STORY!!!
When I first saw this book at the bookstore marked at $4.99 I was really happy because everyone knows that hardcovers are pretty expensive

Then when I got the bill I saw it was only $1.50 I was like:



Seriously. I love a good deal. And so does Mr. Turning The Pages, if he can avoid spending an arm and a leg on my book buying habit he's really pleased. But apart from it being super cheap it was an AWESOME READ!
This is definitely one of my favourite books in the BDB series because it has John Matthew and Xhex, both of whom I have loved since they were first introduced into the series. I really like how John Matthew was introduced and it's been nice to see him grow from a scrawny pre-trans with issues and an obsession with the tough half sympath female Xhex to a HUGE warrior with issues and an obsession with the tough half sympath female Xhex.

This one picked up right where Lover Avenged left off (Click her to read my review of Lover Avenged) and let me tell you this series has not lost momentum one bit! This book was probably one of if not the most intense book in the series thus far because after all this time J.R. Ward has finally written Xhex and John Matthews story.

The book was different than I thought it would be but in a good way there were a few plot twists that I wasn't expecting that kind of surprised the heck out of me which made it even more enjoyable. Since not everyone reading this review may not have read this series up until Lover Avenged or this one Lover Mine so I really don't want to give anything away because I hate when I read spoilers.  But what I can tell you is that I loved this book for it's intensity, romance and the darker aspects of it as well. J.R. Ward is a great story teller and I can't wait to read the next book in the series Lover Unleashed.  I really hope I see Xhex and John Matthew's relationship evolve more in the next one as well which I expect because one of the great things about the series is that the author allows us to see all the characters from past books make appearences in the newer books.

Have you read this one? Have you read any of the books in the series? If so what do you think of the series or this book in particular. Remember to refrain from posting any spoilers.

To purchase the book via Amazon CLICK HERE
To purchase the book via BookDepository CLICK HERE
To visit the author's website CLICK HERE
To "Like" the author on Facebook CLICK HERE


★ ★ ★ ★ ★


2 comments:

  1. Having said that, The Black Dagger Brotherhood is one of my favorite series but it's not perfect. Lover Mine, the eighth installment, is a good and a bad book at the same time.

    I believe that for those who haven't read the series so far, this book might be confusing and most definitely you wouldn't understand the implications of various events. For those who have read it, the series picks up where it left off and J.R. Ward finally gives us John Matthews and Xhex's story.

    Generally it's a good addition to the series, but not as good as the other's have been, specially when compared to Rehvenge's story for instance. The book is huge and Ward keeps the same way of writing, switching perspectives and subjects throughout the chapters. The main focus is John and Xhex, but you also get some of Qhuinn and Blay, a little of Tohr, the annoying Lash and more of Payne.

    There are two side stories, one in the past that shows you a lot of Darius and Tohr explaining some things of the present and making a lot of sense by the end. The second one is in the present and seems completely out of place in the book. In the end it also has its meaning but not enough to justify the space it used - maybe it will make more sense as other books come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

    Click Here
    Udemy.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!